This website was the blog we kept...

The official website is here: www.coughingthedistance.com

Also, my latest adventures are here: www.coughing4cf.com


Saturday, August 11, 2007

We forget the name of the town, but...

Day 14
921km
?, Germany

We had a gorgeous ride today! Sadly, Walter and I are barely awake here at the internet cafe and neither of us remembers the name of the town we are staying in. Sigmaringen is where we are going our internet, which is the city 8km from our hostel.
Nor did I remember to bring my USB port to transfer some photos for you all....sorry about that, but hopefully we'll get some to you soon.

The last 4 or 5 days, it has been raining and we are consistently wet, but it doesn't seem to be too cold, so we aren't too badly off. Well, I guess we should be honest - Walter is feeling it. He had little energy today and feels like his lungs are having hard time keeping up. Our chilly, wet night spent in a crapy, overpriced campground last night didn't help liven our moods much.

Tonight we have splurged on beds in a gausthaus, sort of like a bed & breakfast, which are popping up everywhere, now that we are on a very popular bike route following the Danou River.

This has been the most scenic part yet! Giant old castle-like mansions perched on cliff tops; beautiful green pastures with sheep; fingers of rock pushing up through green farmers fields....the going was fairly flat today, as we are usually blessed with whilst riding along river valleys. But not the last two days - oh no! Extreme uphill, anyone? Day 12 was the longest stretch (20 plus km) of straight uphill as we left the low-lands of Switzerland and headed into Germany. That day was hard and mostly in the rain. We are toughening up at times, but then it all seems to go to hell and we whine and whimper and complain. But I think I speak for all of us when I say that we have been having a great time, are seeing lots of beautiful scenery and smiling faces.

I will try to send photos for this BLOG ASAP.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That is almost a quarter of the entire distance excellent! May be you will get to come home early. Yes Heather your photos are surly missed. Keep up the good work. The wife and BBP in Tassy send lots of love.

Ivor said...

here here katherine, 900km+ is a great achievement in its own right!

Walt, I'd feel tired after 9km at the moment and I've got full lung capacity, keep your spirits up were pulling for you here.

Ivor

Jim Reeder said...

Must be hard guys. Wet camp grounds are yyyuch at the best of times. But we are getting an idea of how it would be doing a family bike trip across europe so keep up the detail.
Discovery channel just dumped its sponsorship of its cycle team, Maybe they are looking for a team with a new angle. Go for it!
Keep pedalling and caring guys, you are the best of brave and crazy.

JR said...

Walter you doing fine I sure I be feeling worst than you would if I was their and how I wish I was. Keep up the good work hopefully the rain will go awa.

John Jacqui and Jarrod