This website was the blog we kept...

The official website is here: www.coughingthedistance.com

Also, my latest adventures are here: www.coughing4cf.com


Monday, August 20, 2007

Sharing Rooms with CF, by Walter

We are in this lovely Holiday Inn hotel in Passau, recuperating from our huge ride... Actually, it has been quite easy actually. The distances we planned are very do-able, the weather is fine, we are ahead of schedule, and all feeling good. I am supercharged on antibiotics and we maintain a 20+km/hr pace (although the bike computer indicates a fair bit less...).

Last night we purchased 24hrs on the internet for my laptop, so when everybody had a turn at doing what they wanted to do (after our extended carbo-loading buffet dinner) I finally got to the laptop (I am a night person), spoke to wife K. on Skype, put up the slideshow, checked email.... By the time I finished my nebulising (read; coughing) it was 1am. Heather had been trying to sleep since 930pm.... This morning she was appropriately grumpy, but she came good after breakfast!

Another note of interest; I keep on stuffing up orders. Yesterday trying to get coffee in a cafe en-route I explained what I wanted in so much detail (black coffee with a dash of milk instead of latte) that even David's espresso order got stuffed up. I have this affect when I try to explain things, much to David's annoyance since all his orders get stuffed up by me trying to order something off the menu. Although David sticks to the menu items he also does not always get what he wants. Champagne for instance. The first time we tried to order champagne to celebrate 1000 kms it never came. Turned out the lady of the restaurant had no cold champagne and wanted to cool it on ice for us for 3 hours (all we heard was Ja Ja, Champagne is cold, ja ja, and she would return to the kitchen not to come back). Even in the Holiday Inn David had no luck ordering, and by the time he got the waiter's attention the moment had passed (Heather had left the table, we were all cooked and done).

1 comment:

Kabir said...

Hi Travellers,

I see that by accident my birthday greetings to Dave got onto a much earlier comment box, so along with another Happy Birthday to him I'll send to him and everyone else this jolly couplet by the last Mughal emperor Bahadur Shah Zafar:

In the original Urdu-
Hai daur e jaam o sahabat e yaaraan e zindaa dil kiifayyat e hayaat,
kuch hai agar mazaa to yahii zindagii men hai baaqii hai dard e sir.

and in English-
Joy in life is a wine cup passing round among lively hearted friends,
If there is pleasure here it comes from that and the rest is headache.

Let's all have a drink for Dave's birthday and another one for Zafar.

Good Luck,
Papa Doc