This website was the blog we kept...

The official website is here: www.coughingthedistance.com

Also, my latest adventures are here: www.coughing4cf.com


Saturday, September 22, 2007

We see the sea!

Day 57
Constanta, the Black Sea
(Check out our new slide show below this entry. If you click on the image, you can see the photos better.)

Wow! We have made it from the English Channel to the Black Sea, which awaits us in its glimmering beauty, but first - an update!

I know I keep saying this, but yesterday really was our longest, toughest day yet. Just a hair off 150km, this time with wind, hills, rabid dogs and even a nasty little kid who ran after us and tried to grab stuff off our bikes! We were only an hour or two into the day - very slow going as most of us were up all night involuntarily listening to the music from yet another wedding. We were riding through a small village along a cobble stone road, when I heard a kaffufle and then David yelling. I turned to look and saw a young boy, about 12 or so, running alongside him grabbing at the bag on his back pannier rack. He was a quick little brat and ran fast to keep up with us. He laughed and fell behind a bit, but then re-powered and sprinted after us again.
It all happened so fast that no one knew how to react at first. You'd think we could have run him off, but we were on a hill and no one wanted to get off their bike, leaving it at another theif's mercy. Then a dog came up and started barking at the kid, who told him to get us and so now we had a dog and a kid chasing us. I was trying to find rocks to throw at the dog (or the kid!) but again, we were just peddaling as fast as we could.
It is sad that some little punk got us all in a tizzy, but we are rather paranoid about our stuff and what we have heard about gypsies and theives, so the best option was to keep moving. Nothing was stolen in the end.

I guess after 3500 km plus, we can expect a few mishaps. Our only regret was not having caught it on film!

But Lucas did get a bit of doc material when I had a nervous breakdown on a few dogs at the end of the day. Since we entered into Croatia, I seem to have 'something' that dogs sense and like to chase. On more than a few occasions, I have been seen in the distance, franticaly peddaling my ass off while hounds chase me down and leave everyone else alone. So far, I have managed to outrun them, but my nerves are wearing down. Cindy tells me the best tactic is to stand firm ground and snarl back at them. I was reluctant to use this beta as I thought standing my ground would give a canine the perfect opportunity to latch onto a limb and drag me off.

Yesterday, however, I was at the end of my rope. Our last 20km was in aggitating traffic. We were getting honked at, mowed down by fumes and gusts from giant trucks and riding along a shoulder about 2ft wide. Personaly, I'd had enough. We had just started off after stopping to figure out diretions to our hotel: a truck flew past, a car honked and two dogs came out of nowhere, snapping and snarrling and chasing. I screamed a really bad swearword at the top of my lungs and they stopped in their tracks - I even heard a whimper, but I think that was from David in front of me....

Anyway, it was like heaven to see our hotel, all lit up from the evening's sunset and right on the beach! Today, we are all well-rested and are feeling the need to celebrate. Walter and Troy scoped out a Kentucky Fried Chicken on the way in, and are off to get the makings for our romantic beachside dinner: KFC and champagne, baby - nothing but the best for the COFE Team!
Heather

2 comments:

Oma Connie said...

Dear Great Cofe Team,

I celebrate tonight with you!Cheers!

Get some tooters,loud bells,
whistles,alarms on your bikes to chase off dogs and thieves and children...

What a wonderful slide show!!
Relax and best wishes for the next lap.

Connie

Ivor said...

Hi Team,

An exhausting and colourful day!

I just finished looking at the Blog Budapest and beyond photo album. Maybe Walter should acquire one of those Walther toys pictures to go with Connie's bells etc to run off those damn dogs, thieves and children?

Ivor