This website was the blog we kept...

The official website is here: www.coughingthedistance.com

Also, my latest adventures are here: www.coughing4cf.com


Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Seriously Lucky or good planning?

Just coming back to the petrol/diesel episode... David is convinced it is good planning, but I cannot think that we we were extremely lucky in the following points:
  • The support team had found us a hotel before lunch so we already had that sorted out. Normally this is arranged after lunch. Imagine if we still had to look for a hotel after the whole affair...
  • Troy had taken over driving after lunch as his knees were getting very sore. If Cindy and Lucas had the diesel/petrol incident happen to them we would have surely attributed blame to them! But with the support crew mechanic doing this it added credibility to the fact the pump was incorrectly marked,
  • Troy filled up the tank straight after lunch and stopped to take a silly picture of some old trucks behind a fence. This meant he was in a safe position, he did not run the bad fuel into the engine - just could not start again.
  • Being straight after lunch we cycled into them within minutes of stranding!
  • Another fuel station right behind the car was very fortunate, imagine pushing the vehicle a kilometer or more!
  • The owner who helped us took David in his car to get some other hoses and whispered to him that his fuel wasn't the best and we shouldn't fill up our tank with it! We took 1/3 of a tank after siphoning the petrol out and went to another petrol station to fill her up completely.
  • We had the brutal wind on our tail and averaged 30+ to the hotel - which was 35km away, arriving just before dusk. Imagine riding bikes here after dusk! Death defying! The trip average for that day was 22.7km/hr! Not bad for 144 kilometers!!!
  • Nothing bad happened to add to our woes for the day!
Walter----

PS. Today I saw a large grass fire in the distance blowing a large smoke field towards where we were heading. I pulled out the video camera and recorded it. I then proceeded to film showing the hills we were getting into and got onto the bike. Within 10 seconds a small flock of sheep crossed in front of me with an old sheep herder. I felt lucky to film him. I then noticed the dogs helping him. As I filmed the dogs saw me and started chasing me up the hill! I was filming with one hand, pedaling up a hill, trying to change gear with my free hand and surviving the 1km chase. Hopefully this footage works out for Lucas, it was good for me trying to film two growling beasts with bared teeth chasing me. I am convinced they were in it for the chase as they probably could've managed a bite or two! Now let's knock on wood for 5 minutes!

4 comments:

jen b said...

Walt, I really hope you plan on writing a book as well as the documentary on your return, with Heather's help of course - the writing on the blog is great!
Can't wait to see the photos from the Black Sea - make sure you get good wear out of the yellow bathers Walter!
Take care you lot and stay strong
Physio Jen

Jim Reeder said...

The adventure continues! still having trouble logging on for some reason.
I went to a lunch today for Tadact volunteers. One couple had a young grandchild with CF and they do a regular fundraiser for CF. Needless to say they had already heard of Walter Van Praag! I was happy to fill them in on some of your earlier exploits and will flick across your blog.This could also become a childrens book!
You guys have already been on the road for 10 days longer than we were on our ride and you're still blogging and riding together. Must be the pills.

Oma Connie said...

Thursday,20 September 2007,Day 55!!

Dear Walter and Dear Team,
I am very excited about all your adventures and I am very impressed with the way you all support each other...
You are doing so well and so many kilometers a day, it is unbelievable!!!
I wish you all good luck and safe travel to reach Istanbul, all in good health and harmony!!!
You are all fantastic people!
With love from Connie, Down Under.

Ivor said...

Walt,

Remember some of those last rides around Devonport before you left and averaging around the 15km/h?

Now after 50 odd days and a few 1000k you produce an average of 22+ and 140k in a day. Truly impressive.

Cheers

Ivor