This website was the blog we kept...

The official website is here: www.coughingthedistance.com

Also, my latest adventures are here: www.coughing4cf.com


Thursday, September 06, 2007

Ride Report from Walter

Just a quick ride update. We are now pretty fit it seems. David and I ride every day, Heather rides most days and Cindy and Lucas help Troy drive. Troy drives pretty much every day at the moment.

As you read in the blog we had some wet weather lately, but also had some sunny days. To me they have all been enjoyable and we now cover 100kms in a day with relative ease! No particular aches or pains or feeling sick. Today was the first day with hills (road signs advising of 6 and 8% inclines) where we covered 80+ kms at an average speed of 21.5 km/hr. Breaking the 20 has long been on my wish-list!

As for health, David thinks I look a little gray when reaching the top of a hill when I push it hard, but other then that I am fine. In Budapest I got my first belly aches of the trip. At home I make kefir which has kept my belly aches away for years now. Considering I have not had kefir for 6 weeks I was not too surprised. I think it was the rich Hungarian Goulash Soup I had that started it off. It kept me feeling bloated and tender the two nights we were there.

A small miracle occurred at the Gellert Hotel, where we had a few hours of bathing in natural spring fed pools and subjected ourselves to extreme cold and heat (steam). When we left the pools and waited for Cindy I found they sold kefir in the little shop there. So with the beers I ordered kefir! It turned out that all shops in Hungary sell kefir alongside with their yoghurts. We stocked up and my belly aches disappeared overnight (may also have been the more cautious eating).

The only medication I am on now is vitamins, salt water and pulmozyne in the nebuliser and Fluimicil (mucolytic). Not bad! And feeling very fit and healthy, and missing my wife awfully much :(

5 comments:

nit_nan said...

Hi Troy and Walter and company.
Walter we, (as in Troy's family) think your doing a fantastic job and watch your site as to where your at. Keep up the hard work and keep well.
Best wishes to all and Troy,
Sue-Anne

Ringo said...

Hey Gone Again, Thrust and the unstoppables! Great to read your blog and hear you are having a few normal tourist experiences (like getting scammed) besides your luggage going on a separate holiday. We can be trusted keep the DH3 lot honest to make sure you have shirts and beanies reserved for you from Le Tour; we will even drink your share of the beer if you like! Keep riding and writing and stay well. Cheers and On On from Ringo and Dini and all at Burnie Hash

Erwin said...

Hi Walter & Co,

Nice of you to let the 'jarige job' win on his birthday. I hope you do not push the people in your company too hard? Reserve some energy for the final part of your dream journey, that's my advice. Booooooooooring! :O)

Regards: Erwin (NL)

PS: I don't like people making fun of my son! Tomfoolery? No sir!

Unknown said...

And I miss my husband very much as well!

Lots of love Katherine

jim reeder said...

Hi walter> I always read your blog and keep getting chucked off when I reply. Australia misses Walter but you are the man to do it!